Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Being and doing

What if being here doesn't actually mean I have to DO anything?

I sit on the floor with my kids.  The big one is putting a pot in her toy oven and prattling away; the little one is stirring in an upside down early shaker with a spatula.  She hands me a teacup and says "drink! Drink!" I drink.

I am not in charge. I am not in control. I am not doing anything.

I'm more here than I have been in a long time.

And in my head, in my writing, in every aspect of my life, what would happen if I stopped doing, stopped looking ahead, stored trying to get somewhere and was just here?


1 comment:

  1. So you know how much I struggle with this, just sitting and being present. I'm taking baby steps. It is hard because it goes against everything I have done previously. That act of being present allows me to make deeper connections with the ones I love.

    ReplyDelete