Friday, February 6, 2015

Courage

It's a trait I see and admire so, in other people.

Your grace, your courage, your vulnerability.

But I'm just a mess, they say. I'm just muddling through.

I have yet to figure out how to explain that that's the part that's amazing, that the willingness to be imperfect and out in the world, to play it strong and wrong if they have to (like my band director used to say), is what I admire, what I envy.

How much I wish I was the kind of person who could do anything at all, right or wrong, without thinking about it for 12 hours first and regretting it for 48 hours after.

I messed up, guys. I didn't finish NaBloPoMo, and I was so embarrassed I shut down for three months.

 I'm so embarrassed of how embarrassed I was.

Showing up here after all this time scares me, maybe more than it should. I'm afraid that no one will care, that it doesn't matter. I'm so afraid.

But the only way to get courage is by practicing it.

Which is a sucky way for that to work if you ask me.

4 comments:

  1. I totally get this. It is also totally sucky that the only way stop get better at hard things is to do them. Booooooo. By the way, I care that you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are back, and it does suck that the only way to get through hard and scary things is to keep doing them. And yet, here you are doing just that. Keep writing and working through it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge hugs. You are right that the only way to get better is to keep doing those hard and scary things. Thinking of you. Your courage inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete