Saturday, September 22, 2018

Day 2

I am sitting on my couch with my feet up, a girl leaning on each of my shoulders, word girl on the TV. It is Saturday morning, which is the opposite of a day off for a stay at home mom of school age children. The last thing I want to do is write.

But here I am. Because coming back, showing back up, has been the hardest thing for me in my life. Because quitting is go to and because telling myself that I just can't do it because a quitter is who I am is such an easy way out.

Yesterday, BG threw a twenty minute tantrum over having to practice a new piano song. I get it, I told her, it's hard. You don't like when things are hard. You can't play it yet. But it's important for you to do things that are still just out of reach. It's important for you to stretch a little. That's how you grow.

Et tu, Brute?

Day 2 sucks a little. It's hard to keep showing up when you aren't good at something yet. But it's important for me to stretch if I want to grow.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar conversation with Caitlyn yesterday. She was throwing her version of a fit about learning Arabic. Actually, both Caitlyn and Sue have been at low level mutiny this week over Arabic. I get that it is hard, so very, very hard. I know I have cried more than a few tears right in the class I am taking and I am angry that for the first time in my life, I am not the teacher's pet. But I have committed all of us to this. It is hard when you are used to things coming easy and all the sudden they are dang hard, dang, dang, dang hard.

    Please keep writing. Please. I can ask you that three ways in Arabic, Arjuke (Syrian), min fudlik (if you please--I think), and tufuduli (please do this--I think, I might have the second two backward).

    ReplyDelete