Wednesday, July 24, 2013

One of those days

I'm having one of those days.

I woke up to a dishwasher full of water, 2 screaming kids, a husband who was running out the door for an early meeting, and a headache.

I left a message for an appliance repairman who wouldn't call back, yelled at my toddler for trying to brush her sister's teeth, broke a bowl while trying to rewash all my dishes, and sliced my finger open on a piece of aluminum foil.

I plopped my toddler in front of the TV and tried to nurse the still screaming baby again, for several minutes before realizing she actually needed a new diaper.

I strapped the changed baby to my chest, then almost dropped her out of the carrier trying to get the toddler on the potty in time.

I didn't.

While I was cleaning up the pee, the toddler tried to brush the baby's teeth again.  I yelled.  Again.

I called my husband three times to remind him not to be late to BG's swim class because he needed to take the baby.

Then I was late.

BG was thrilled to be in the water, and we both took a deep breath and actually looked at each other and smiled for the first time in what felt like days.

Until she tried to do a cannonball and smacked the back of her head on the edge of the pool.

My sweet baby slept for her entire lunch with daddy.  And then woke up and smiled when she saw me.

And started screaming as soon as we got in my car.

It is 4:30 in the afternoon.  I have a crying hangover, can barely keep my eyes open, but want to run a 5k from the nervous energy and the second cup of coffee I had when BG finally settled in to her post swimming nap around 3:00.  I have accomplished nothing today except keeping everyone alive.  I am sitting in my desk chair with my tiny adorable tyrant breathing on my neck because she screams again if I put her down.  

I am grateful.  I am fortunate.  I am madly in love with my children.

But today is not the day to remind me of that.

2 comments:

  1. These days? They suck. Hard. And I know you love your kids but it's okay to curse the days that use up the last bits of your being. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge hugs. It is okay to talk about the days that suck. You are doing a great job, mama. Give yourself grace. Keeping them all alive, fed and clothed is enough.

    ReplyDelete