Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Doing it right: It's not me

JamesandJax.com

This week, I had to dig deep to think of what I've been doing right.  I made some seemingly huge mistakes this week, one involving a car and the side of my garage, and it's been hard to get past that.  And as far as daily life goes, I feel like I took a huge step backwards with some of the things I've been working on.  The counters aren't clear, the TV's been on all  day, and I haven't been unplugging AT ALL.

But here's the thing.

None of those things define who I am or what I'm worth.  They're all things that happened or things I've done, and some of them I really regret.  But they aren't me.

This is something new for me.  To separate the things I've done from who I am, to feel guilty but not ashamed, to be able to come back from something I feel crappy about and not let it take me over completely.  It's hard.  Really hard.  But all new skills are hard, and I hate being at the beginning of things, I suck at sucking at things.  And this may be the most important skill I've ever learned.

So, that's what I've been doing right.

What have you been doing right?  Link up with Jaime from James and Jax


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up again! I like the word "seemingly" in front of "huge mistakes." It's important to focus on that word, because your mistakes aren't actually huge, and it sounds like you realize that and then some! There is nothing you can do that isn't an opportunity for learning, changing, growing. I need to remember that for myself. I like this quote from Mel Brooks: "As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." :)

    ReplyDelete