Saturday, October 22, 2011

Book Review: Purple Leaves, Red Cherries


Remember when I wrote my PR letter? Well I was mostly kidding, but that day I got an email from Tania Elfersy asking if I could review her book Purple Leaves, Red Cherries. And I'm so grateful.

To be honest? At first I was a little intimidated by the book. It's big, about 170 pages, and have I mentioned that it now takes me 9 weeks to read a novel? So, like most things I'm afraid of, I put it off. Then life got a little crazy, and I couldn't get to it.

Finally, I sat down, opened up the book, and read the intro, and I came across this:
We spent any spare reading time educating ourselves about child development and the impact of mothering on our children – on their self-esteem, their learning, their relationships, their ability to become well-adjusted adults. Yet we read very little about the impact of mothering on our self-esteem, our careers, our relationships and our ability to remain well-adjusted adults. (11)

And I was immediately in love.

Purple Leaves, Red Cherries is full of stories from real moms trying to tackle this motherhood thing. It is calming and comforting; it reminds you that you are not alone; it does everything that I want my blog and life to do.

The individual vignettes are short and sweet, which makes it the perfect book for moms who only have a few short moments of reading time to snatch at during the day. I read it quickly, hopping from one story to the next easily. It can also be read slowly, though, with careful reflection, and I hope to do that many times over.

The vignettes are divided into sections on such topics as "Beginnings" and "Relationships," and each section ends with space to journal your own experiences. My favorite section, titled "(In)sanity" contains such gems as these:

There was always hope that the next day he might cry a little less;
that I might cry a little less.(58)

When the most sophisticated thing I've done all week is eat dark chocolate; when piles of dirty laundry and unfolded clean laundry have become sites of volcanic activity; when once again I can't find anything to wear because even though it's winter outside, it's all four seasons in my closet; when the puzzle pieces are really missing; when I realize the only book I've finished in the last six months is one with 32 pages: When all this happens, I might just get lucky and capture a sight of all three of my children laughing and playing together. (59)

This book is one that is sorely needed by the mothering community. It would make a lovely gift to a friend, or to yourself. I'm so grateful to have been given the chance to read it.

I have also just found out that the the Kindle edition (which contains all the stories and connectivity to our online forum - ideal for moms of all ages and book clubs) is currently on special offer from Amazon.com now $0.99. Special prices for limited period only.

Disclaimer: I was given a PDF copy of this book to facilitate my review. No further compensation was given, and I will not be compensated if you buy it. But I think you should.

8 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm totally intrigued by that book now. Sounds like something I need to hear. The premise is very interesting--it's true that you don't hear a lot about motherhood's impact on us, the moms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,
    Having read your "Life’s Lessons: The Quiet Edition" I think you will find a few stories in the book that will touch your heart. I hope you will enjoy the book too. . . .
    (Co-author, Purple Leaves, Red Cherries)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds great. And I have a Kindle, so really it's a no-brainer. You should link this up to my Weekend Reading bloghop today to spread the word a little more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this, which reminds me I need to read it. Sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome! I will have to pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by this. I think I'll add that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great read. I am adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH man. I'm definitely going to have to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete