Monday, November 18, 2013

On Self Compassion. Or not.

Last week, I started reading Self Compassion by Kristen Neff.

Whoa.

I'm supposed to be nice to myself?  And I'm even supposed to be nice to myself about how I'm not really very nice to myself?

Huh.

One of the things that the book suggests is that when things are hard, you need to treat yourself with kindness.  Say something gentle to yourself.  Acknowledge that you are feeling pain and deserve kindness for it.  Give yourself a hug and stroke your own hair.

Just not, y'know, if you're in public.

Here's the thing.  You're even supposed to be compassionate to yourself when your pain is because of your own screw up.

Especially if it's because of your own screw up.

I'll be over here in the corner hugging myself.

Ahem.


NaBloPoMo November 2013

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I need to put that book on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent most of my time reading that book with tears in my eyes. I treat myself like shit. I would never talk to my friends the way I talk to myself. We all deserve kindness, especially when we screw up.

    ReplyDelete