Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My bloggy funk

In my head, I am a great writer.

I mean, I know I can write. We're going for honesty here, so I'm going to skip the kind-of-fishing-for-compliments-self-deprecating false humility. I know I can write. I can write well.

But I don't.

I love blogging. I love visiting blogs, connecting with other bloggers on twitter. I love being part of the mom blogging community. These days, though, I feel like I can hardly call myself a blogger. At best, I'm someone with a blog. A "precious," "cute" little blog.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I mean, I appreciate when you say those things. I appreciate that you're here at all, especially since so many of you have such wonderful, popular, and Important blogs. I mean that. I have the best blogging friends in the world, and when people like you say my blog is cute? It makes me smile.

But really I want more than that.

I want this to be What I Do. I want to BE a blogger. I want to have a blog that does something that matters. If any of that even makes any sense.

Sometimes, I think about taking a blogging class, about joining a blogging forum, to figure out what I need to do to make my blog bigger. To make it something that can matter. In my heart, though, I know what I need to do.

I need to write. And I'm not.

Why not? Because I'm tired. Because my life seems so mundane. Because the baby is climbing on the TV. Because I'd rather waste away the day on twitter.

Because I'm afraid.

What happens if I try and fail? What happens if my funny isn't funny, if my heartfelt isn't moving? Why would anyone really care what I have to say?

So how do I overcome this paralysis? How do I keep moving forward? How do I become the blogger I want to be?

This is a response to the prompt about my goals and what is stopping me.

14 comments:

  1. I like it when people write about the so called "mundane" things. I like getting to know you and what you do during the day. I told Kimberly this, but it's like, I can't come to your house, so make this your house and let us see what you're all about. It's why I keep coming back. Just talk to me like you're sending me an email or like we're having a phone chit chat. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those same fears. I want to write, really write. But I'm so afraid of failing that I just don't put my whole effort into it at times.

    But when I do? The response is amazing. Write from your heart. Don't worry about your audience. Write who you are and let us get to know you. I guarantee we'll keep coming back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same. Sometimes I really put myself out there and there is hardly any response. Sometimes the simplest post get the most response and I don't get it. I guess there are times when I really don't know what my audience wants. In the end, I try to remember why I do it. I do it for me, for my memories, for my outlet. This is your space. Do what you want with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just go for it, girl.

    Are you part of the SITS girls? They have great blogging tips. I joined when I started blogging and they really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to write, then write! Who knows - that may be what changes the "cute" to "great" or whatever the *more* is that you are hoping to achieve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say be patient.

    And that will probably be what everyone else says.

    But I really think it does take time to be one of those big important floggers.

    Keep plugging away and write from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do it! And sometimes I have to use two very forceful hands to shut down the twitter when I know I really need to write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you can find great stories in the mundane. A great tool that helped me learn to push the envelope and write was The Red Dress Club. Have you tried writing for any of their prompts yet? It is a great way to get your feet wet and meet supportive writers in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know the saying "Dance like no one's watching?" Well you have to approach blogging the same way. Write like no ones reading. Blogging, at least for me, is cathartic. So I write for me. Sure sometimes I am scared to hit publish. But at the end of the day you have to be yourself and go for it!
    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the opposite dilemma--I barely put any thought into what I post & use my blog as more of a stream of consciousness tool. Don't get me wrong, there are some days when I think "what's the point, since nobody's reading?!" But most of the days, I'm just writing to get things out or get something off my chest. Whatever happens, happens. Occasionally I'll write because I want to spread some kind of message.

    I really love Rach's comment, though, and I hope the majority of blog readers feel the same way! I do. I like to read about the mundane things, too.

    I think you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really know what the answer is, but I know you already know that I feel very much the same. I think writing as if you were writing for yourself, instead of for an audience is a good way to start. I know I've seen various e-courses on blogging, and if I see them run again, I will totally let you know. But you have it in you, without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you just start writing. Even if you don't think you want to. MAKE yourself sit down and write for 15 minutes straight (when the baby's NOT climbing the TV) and see what happens. Polish it up and publish it.

    You definitely have a voice - this post shows that. Use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say write about whatever comes to mind. That's what I usually do. And if your mind is blank or you need some motivation, there are so many great prompts out there to help you get going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doing catch-up reading...

    Yep. Just write. I'm like Jaime, a lot of my stuff is just barfed onto my blog. But it helps me. And once in a while I'll get going and write something I like. But the biggest bonus for me has been developing relationships with people I read and who read me. It makes me feel more like a blogger and as a result I'm more inclined to do more and branch out.

    You're a great writer and I love your point of view. Keep putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete