Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My love is enough

In case I haven't mentioned it? This mom gig is hard. This tiny person who I held in my arms the moment she was born is a complete and total mystery to me. I don't know what she wants to eat, when she wants to sleep, how she wants to play. She cries and I don't know what's wrong.

Calculus I can do. Nap schedules blow my mind.

Some days I get so frustrated and disappointed that I scream. Or I sit down with my head on the couch and cry.

And on those days, do you know what Baby Girl does? Crawls into my lap. Hugs me. Noms on my face. And giggles.

And do you know why?

Because I am a good mom. I am a really good mom.

I don't need to buy the best toys or serve the most perfect homemade organic baby food to be a good mom. I don't need to spend every second of my day playing with the baby and coming up with brilliant and creative ways to stimulate her. I don't need to have a plan or even know what I'm doing really. I just need to love my little girl.

I don't like the word just there.

I love my little girl. And my love is the most powerful force in the universe. And that's why even when I falter or flail, even when I feel defeated, Baby Girl is still happy and healthy and beautiful and so crazy about me that neither of us can stand it.

My love is enough. My love is more than enough.

15 comments:

  1. Love this post! We don't need to buy into whatever society tells us we need to do. Being a mom is really hard, but all we need is just to love our little ones and stop worrying. I am sharing this post with my friends and family.

    Jen
    @jenrenpody on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - it's Amber Lena from PPDchat on FB. I'm glad you wrote about it. It helps, doesn't it? I just connected the twitter/blog you with the FB you. ;-) New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those days are SO hard. And sometimes knowing you're a good mom doesn't make them easier to deal with, but in the end that's what matters. Being able to see that is tough. Good job, mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rocked this topic!!! Your love is enough. Every day. All the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such hard days....made so much better by kisses and hugs. and um......I can do naps but not calculus :) Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES, your love is enough. That's what Baby Girl will remember. Obviously you're doing a great job if she noms your face!! That's what I tell myself when she's clingy--that she just loves her mama. A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those days are so hard, but you're right. Your love is enough. She will remember your love and hugs and kisses. That's what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always so hard when you feel like everything you are doing, and every effort you are making is not working! But at the end of the day, you are exactly right...your love is enough and that is the bottom line! Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those things we obsess over to make our kids lives perfect! and what really makes it perfect (almost) is our love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love is absolutely the most important thing. It's a tough gig; you do a lot of work that largely goes unnoticed, when you really think about it. I am glad you get those snuggles and baby smooches and other little moments that remind you about the good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. again you write strait to my heart. and right you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I had commented on this blog entry before, because I swear I read it. Weird. Anyway, I think it's beautiful, and it really helped me feel more at ease with my memories of when kiddo was that age. I do not remember a lot, but the good things I remember were made better because of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have I told you lately that I love you?

    ReplyDelete